Friday, August 8, 2008

The Importance of Sealing the Electrolyzer

Early on when I first began to work with Water4Gas on my car I realized that I had a leak around the electrode fittings and made sure to seal them off. At the time I spoke with several people on the forum about this, and everyone agreed that it was important that there be no leaks at all. Also it came up that there was a problem for everyone concerning the plastic caps being used on the Electrolyzer. Lots of people were reporting that after they were in use for a little while that they would warp a bit and consequently they would leak. Many solutions were offered; some of them were good - such as gaskets being made to order, and Form-a-Gasket (a paste type product available in auto parts stores).

But if you've been following this blog you will know that, for me, simply knowing something is not always acting upon it right off the bat. Really although without much energy on it I did make sure to seal off the Electrolyzers that I've made for myself and some friends, but had no acceptable way to test those seals until a few days ago. Strangely about a week ago I had tested a couple of O-Ring Seals that appeared to do the trick: the test was simple - I took a cap that had not been drilled out, put water in it and turned it over. If it leaked then that was obviously not the seal I was looking for. I had it narrowed down to two - one of which was a bit thinner but fit the cap exactly, but I decided against it in favor of the thicker version that on first look is ever so slightly big. As it turns out my instincts were correct and that is the perfect seal. You see there was a further test that hadn't occurred to me. Because I've had such motivating successes with my gas mileage
I decided to check out the creation of "New Water" which utilizes an Electrolyzer in a very specific way. The trick there is that the Electrolyzer must be sealed off completely or when you place the output line into the separate jar you will get no bubbles at all! The Electrolyzer in this case is being put under positive pressure with the Aquarium Pump instead of a vacuum as it is used on a car - meaning that a little soap solution will allow you to see leaks. Well I started with a brand new cap that I had personally attached all of the fittings to, and had personally sealed using Goop. I got no bubbles. One of my Electrode fittings had a minor leak (these seem to be a problem area). I fixed it but still got no bubbles. I found a small leak around the edge of that brand new cap. I tightened it. Still nothing. I grabbed the thinner version of the O-Ring and put it in the cap and still had a leak. I traded out the thinner version for what I now call the "Perfect O-Ring" and wha'-do-ya' know?

Bubbles:-)

I immediately went out and placed the Perfect O-Rings in the Electrolyzers on my car.

Sealing is everything. Well let's just say that sealing is as equally important as every other detail, and all of the details are really, really important. Have I made myself clear? You cannot have any leaks.

2 comments:

Darth Wyatt said...

What ring did you use? where did you find it? I have been looking to no avail...

Jonathan Ellis said...

Hi Darth - it is now available through the new website www.ignitingwater.com - it's still me - I just changed the name from waterxfuel because ignitingwater is more cool:-)

Best,

jon