Saturday, August 23, 2008

Series Connection - Five Teaspoons - Wire Mesh Holders

I've been asked the question enough that I decided to add this crude drawing of what it means to connect the electrolyzers in series. My neighbor who happens to be a building contractor assured me that these connections would produce a short. He was wrong:-) which is so rare that I got to do a small dance of triumph after I made the connection and ran the car. All kidding aside - this is the way to do it.

As I reported earlier in the week I am now running two Electrolyzer's (in series) with 5 teaspoons of Baking Soda. I wanted to report specifically on that combination: they are running quite cool even after an hour of running around town. The engine got to it's normal hotness but my HHO system stayed plenty cool enough to touch which seems like a very good sign. I've not used enough gas yet to be ready to fill up yet, but I'll get there in the next day or so and will check in then.

Oh yeah, I've added one more thing to my system that I like quite a lot - and that's wire mesh holders for the Electrolyzers. What's great about them is that it make it really easy to lift each unit out of the holder for inspection or to add water. I put my bungee cord around the outside of the mesh containers - which holds everything correctly in place. Someone I spoke with after having done this suggested that the containers could be pierced and a wire could be devised to suspend them when space was an issue - which I think is a pretty good idea...

Now I know that the question is - where did I come by these amazing mesh containers? The answer, my friends, is simple I bought them at Staples for like $6.00 apiece. You will find them in the section for pen and pencil holders. They just happen to be exactly the correct size for what we're doing.

Happy mileage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty simple stuff that wiring in series. I want to know your LPM and MPG before i bother to install 1 cell without electronic gadgets in my car!

Jonathan Ellis said...

Well I certainly invite you to read through the rest of the blog to find out what you want to know at least the MPG (as far as LPM I don't have an accurate way to measure that - but my engine is a 1.6L if that's helpful to you). The thing about blogs is that the most recent posting is always at the top. If you will look to the sidebar to the right you will see links to all posts. To make it a little easier here's a link to my post on highway mileage http://water4gasreport.blogspot.com/2008/08/highway-mileage-or-i-went-kayaking.html

Anonymous said...

Yes i have read all your MPG posts, it is the one you haven't posted yet using 5 tsp of baking soda results that i want to see. I wish there was a way to measure hho output!

Anyway since i mentioned gadgets, or rather my distrust for them such as MAP enhancers, let me share with you what i do know. Running a modern computer controlled emission system engine lean will result cylinder damage down the road.

For the general HHO people running car lean by tricking management and hoping they're delivering enough HHO, they may not see the effects of lean conditions until down the road.. ie, burnt and pitted valves, burnt and pitted pistons, holes in pistons, etc.. the engine will still run with alot of damage, but you'll start losing compression over time with lean conditions. Lean conditions in with no doubt will decrease the life of all parts involved.

Lean = Hot. most NA car engines are not designed to run hot. Performance motors use sodium filled valves and forged pistons to deal with excessive heat and stress. So the everyday motor will deteriorate faster under lean conditions.

Might want to add this to your tests - take a compression check before driving any further. This would be a good thing to monitor. just remember there are other factors that effect compression such as engine temp and oil presense on the rings. If you test the motor cold everytime, that should give you consistant results.

Oh just one more thing and im not sure if this was on your blog or other but ignoring that engine light advice! Well when the light comes on it also set the computer into (Limp Mode) meaning increase rich gas mixture.... which defeats your hard fought for HHO advantage. So if your going to attempt to trick the computer, a code scanner with a clear option maybe your best friend!

As always very interested in your quests and will continue. Cheers!

Florida Horseman said...

anonymous is correct. There IS a risk of engine damage by trying to push the HHO system too far in a quest for high MPG goals. Plus, if some OTHER electronics not even related to the O2 or MAP sensor go belly up and you've been driving around ignoring a CEL that's already on (or remove the bulb!)you'll have no knowledge of it unless you frequently download the trouble codes and see what the ECU is trying to report. I've pretty much convinced myself to stop building my system at 3 cells and a MAP enhancer and just use it for Interstate driving.