Friday, June 13, 2008

About That Oxygen Sensor Spacer

Yesterday I made a valiant effort to install the thing and only managed to scrape my knuckles badly enough that they still hurt. It turns out that (at least for my car) you need a special wrench to pull the sensor out. My friend (and mechanic), Louie lent me the tool but the results were as stated above. Today I went back over to his shop and asked him to do the task for me - which he did in quick order and refused to accept payment. It took him all of 10 minutes. Experience and having the correct tool - counts.

So as you know I'd already put in the MAP Enhancer. So as a consequence of my failed attempt at installation - I'd already driven 29.4 miles - when the spacer was actually installed. So - I did drive around a bit with that piece of the puzzle missing, but also felt that I was getting a true gain that would show up with the spacer in or not. What happened next was unexpected but it was something that I noticed immediately upon driving out of Louie's shop: my MAP Enhancer needed to be readjusted to a leaner mixture. There was no doubt that something different was going on. It was unmistakable.

My next posting will contain my newest mileage stats, and for the first time they will reflect some highway driving. We intend to take the kayaks out for a spin tomorrow and will need to get to some interesting location - right? At least something more pristine than the East River.

No comments: