Thursday, June 12, 2008

Worst Mileage Ever

That's right this works out to 17.7 MPG. I got 4 miles less per gallon than my car gets all on its own! The reasons are clear and they all come back to me: As I posted earlier I could see that the car was not doing as well as it should - but did I disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for half an hour to let the computer reset again? Nope - I didn't want to deal with having to reset the radio stations and the clock. OMG did that lazy attitude come back to bite me in the behind - especially when I just paid more per gallon than ever. Also, I was waiting for the overwhelming heat to go away so that I could install the MAP Sensor Enhancer, so I didn't go in to fill the tank until that was done - meaning that I paid more and and at the same time had to buy more. Sure I knew the cost of gas was going up - because these days it's always going up. All in all - painful.

On the other hand, I did get the Enhancer installed yesterday. Just to be on the safe side of getting things in order, while I did the installation I did disconnect the battery. There was some mention in the instructions that I got of disconnecting the upstream Oxygen sensor - but I couldn't figure out how to do that other than pulling the electrical line off - which amounts to the same thing. Reason: I want to put the spacer on and I'm waiting until I talk to my mechanic to see if he can tell me how to do that without wrecking it. (I'll report later on that.)

What I did do was get the MAP Enhancer online and working! As you might surmise - I am fairly well proud of myself. Choosing the correct wire seemed a real problem but once I got it - I got it. I can tell that it's doing what it's supposed to do by a very simple test. First I followed the directions for tuning it and found that spot for my car that works best. Then, while the car was sitting at an idle I flicked the setting from Enhanced to Factory. There is a very noticeable difference in the engine. It is unmistakable. I did it right. I expect that that difference will show up the next time I fill up ( and I won't be waiting so long until I do that - because I'm dying to see the results). It's all I can do to keep myself from just going out and driving around, but I'm really not all that willing to demonstrate how stupid I can be:-)

Another thing that I did while I was installing the Enhancer is that I took another look at the "T" connection for the vacuum lines connected to the Electrolyzer - I noticed that one of them appeared to be loose. It was - which certainly may be responsible for the terrible mileage. I just don't know. Still, I took a close look and realized that the Universal T is designed in a way that each end narrows further and further so that it can accept all sizes of lines. What this means is that for my car I had lines that didn't need to be as small at the ends as these were - so I cut them off with wire cutter and reamed them clean with an Exact-o blade. What this should mean is that I will get more vacuum pulling the HHO into the manifold.

I'm realizing more and more that each little thing is important. As always I'm learning at each step and with any luck you will be able to avoid the pitfalls through my missteps.

No comments: